Saturday, October 23, 2010

Im getting off my depression meds, and i keep feeling a "shock" sensation thru my body?

could the withdrawl from the antidepressants be causing this sensation since my hormones and my nerves are re-adjusting or do i need to be concerned? thanks and god blessIm getting off my depression meds, and i keep feeling a "shock" sensation thru my body?
I also had 'shock' sensations when I stopped taking an antidepressant. I asked my doctor if this is normal, and he told me that it can be a side effect of ending the medication use. He then prescribed the medication in a smaller dosage, and told me to ween myself from the medication for a longer period of time with the smaller dose. Nevertheless, I would talk to your doctor about the sensations you are having. Hopefully you are withdrawing from your medication under your doctors supervision. Good luck.
Surely it's a transitory phase.
To my mind, you may still be suffering from depression. Did your Doctor cease the medications or did you decide you're OK now? Also, if you are going off them, I would want to decrease them gradually. Depends how long you've been taking them too, but if the sensations continue, I'd check back with the Doc!
That is a very common reaction when coming off anti-depressants, especially SSRIS such as Prozac, Paxil, Zoloft, etc. I have experienced this myself. I am on a high dose of Zoloft, usually the higher the dosage of SSRI you are on, the more this problem occurs. You should taper off very gradually from the med, and if you have this reaction don't cut your dose down any more for a few days. The Prozac did this to me very bad both when I first started it and when I went off of it. I did not have a good reaction to it at all and couldn't tolerate it.

No comments:

Post a Comment